Miyan Zogele is one of the popular soups in northern Nigeria, Zogele is also known as Moringa which has a lot of health benefits; ranging from the seeds, leaves and flowers. Until recently, most people did not know the benefits of Moringa [Zogele]; from when I was growing up , we normally cook it a lot even now we still do; and my Dad stored the seeds which he swallowed with water and made us boil the leaves so he could drink the water because he was aware of the health benefits. When people came to our house, they ignored the soup and trees because they didn’t know that it was a ‘miracle tree’ ; but now that people are aware of the benefits, they come to my house to pluck the leaves every now and then. Moringa is said to have a lot of benefits:
- High in vitamins
- Lower blood sugar
- Rich in antioxidants
- Reduces inflammation
- Lower cholesterol (aids weight loss) etc.
From the look of things, the leaves are loaded with a lot of goodness, so is this soup. The soup is perfectly healthy, it is cooked locally with peanut (groundnut), locust beans and other ingredients which you will find out below.
Let’s get started!
- 3 cups Moringa leaves (dried or fresh) [Zogele)
- 1 ½ cooking spoon ground Peanut (Nikeken geda)
- 2 tablespoons Soaked Potash ( Kanwa or Dalang)
- 5 scotch bonnets and 1 onion blended together
- 3 Knorr chicken cubes
- 2 tablespoons locust beans
- 3 tablespoons dried Okra (Busheshen kubewa)
- Salt to taste (Gishiri)
- Add 1 cup of water in a pot, locust beans, blended pepper and onion. Stir and allow to boil
- Add in washed Moringa leaves and cook for 5 minutes
- Add in potash and cook for 10 minutes
- Now mix the peanut with water into a paste
- Add the peanut into the cooking Moringa, dried Okra, salt and seasoning cubes. Cover and allow to cook for 5 -7 minutes. [do not stir at this stage so the groundnut/ peanut will cook nicely)
- Stir and allow to simmer for 3 minutes
Our Miyan Zogele aka Moringa soup is ready. Serve with Tuwon masara, tuwon shinkafa or semovita, enjoy.
You can see how simple this recipe is, the ingredients are few and easily accessible. Make sure you give this a try and tell me all about it, Thanks for stopping by…see you guys soon…