Zobo is a Nigerian drink made from the deep-red flowers of the Hibiscus plant also known as Rosalle. Zobo is very popular in Nigeria, it is refreshing and tasty especially when served very cold. Some Nigerian movies use Zobo drink as blood, because of its red colour; HAHAHA. Zobo drink is not just tasty, it is also medicinal: it aids digestion, high in vitamin C, minerals, calcium, Niacin and has antioxidant properties from the group of compounds called Flavanoid which gives it the red colour.
Entertaining your friends with Zobo drink is much more healthier than all these carbonated drinks and sugar sweetened drinks, You will be contributing positively to their health also. My Zobo drink is #Fitfam friendly because I do not add sugar, it is healthy and packed with goodness. I love using Ginger and Negro Pepper/ Enge for that little hotness in my Zobo drink.
Let’s make this guys!
INGREDIENTS FOR ZOBO DRINK
- 4 cups of Zobo leaves
- Back of Pineapple
- Back of watermelon
- ½ Pineapple
- ½ Watermelon
- ½ Cucumber
- 2 medium sized Lemon or Lime
- 1 Orange
- Honey (as you like)
- 4- 5 Negro Pepper
Before you start preparing this drink, wash and cut the Pineapple, Watermelon and some of the Cucumber into chunks and blend. Cut the remaining Cucumber, Orange, Lime or Lemon and set aside. Also, wash and cut the Pineapple and Watermelon back, pound the Ginger and Negro pepper together and set aside.
- Add about 3 litres of water in a deep pot
- Wash the Zobo leaves because they are usually dusty then add into the water
- Add the back of the Pineapple and Watermelon
- Add the pounded Ginger and Negro Pepper and allow everything to boil for 20- 25 minutes
- Turn off the heat and allow to cool for 30 minutes then add in the blended Cucumber, Pineapple and Watermelon into the cooked mixture, stir and allow to rest for 15 minutes
- Pour the mixture in a sieve or cheese cloth to get the liquid out
- Add some Honey and stir
- Now add some slices of Cucumber, Lime or Lemon, Orange and refrigerate.
Zobo drink is best served chilled, it just quenches your thirst.
Serve with any meal or snack you like. Enjoy!
Do try this healthy Sugar-free Zobo recipe and tell me how it went, you can also suggest other ways of making it by leaving a comment below. Thank You for stopping by, See You in my next post..